Tuesday, March 9, 2010

2 Year Health-O-Versary!


So here it is 2 years since I began this journey to better health and I am happy to report that I am still at goal and working hard to maintain this lifestyle. Since hitting my goal in November of 2009 it has not always been easy trying to transistion from weight loss to maintainance. The learning curve is steeper than I would have anticipated and not without pitfalls.

Your first instinct when you hit goal is to celebrate. Historically I would do that with a feast! Woo Hoo!!! So what do I get to eat for my big party...hmmm. Not sure how to deal with that one so instead I just made little of the event and moved on.

As the weeks passed I was finding myself lost in how to handle this success and began to understand how many people fall right back into the same traps that made them overweight to begin with. You spend so much time obsessing about every little detail of what you eat, what now? I can allow myself the occassional treat now, right? Perhaps a piece of cake after dinner, some ice cream or maybe just a cookie? What to do, what to do.

I had also been posting my weekly weigh-in's for the last 20 months. Not sure that it still makes sense since I have nothing left to lose it would only serve to show that this week I have lost nothing. Don't know if that's a good thing or not, perhaps I might feel like a failure if I don't continue to lose even though my body has clearly stopped responding to my efforts.

I am finding out from those I have met online and the message boards I frequent that the key to success may be to continue to be completely obsessive about every detail of my diet. This is no different that before only now I am not concerned about losing only maintaining.

So that is my plan for now, continue to obsess about my weight, diet and exercise routine with the new goal of staying the same.

BTW...my race went well. While I did not hit my goal time of a sub 25 minute race. I did finish in 25:55 and was very happy with it considering it was my first 5K and slightly different strategy than running a Half Marathon or other long events. No need to hold back on this short distance, just run to you think you might vomit. Then go a little harder because it would be over before you know it.

Planning to sign up for at least 2 more 5K's that I know of for now this year. Hopefully in one of these I can reach that 2010 goal of a sub 25 minute 5K. For now I have a 10K up next in 2 weeks would like to see if I can PR that as well.

On On

No comments: