Friday, December 2, 2011

Gearing up for the Offseason

So here we go into what is considered by most the offseason. However, truth be told my offseason began in July after finishing IM Muncie 70.3. My nagging calf injury that kept me from running much more than a 10K without wanting to collapse in a heap needed rest and healing. I took a good two and a half months off from everything with only 2 or 3 short 3 mile or so runs a week. The good thing is that I am running pain free for now, or at least in my legs.

Being that this is my 4th year I feel like I have some grasp on how to handle it but I still get over excited about the time off and what to work on. ADD is typically in full effect and I am considering all of the things I can do but eventually reality sets in once I realize that I only have so much time during the day to workout. My original plan was to just keep a balanced workout with 3-4 runs, 2 bikes and 2-3 swims a week would be great. However, our Triathlon Club has entered us into a challenge with each month being focused on one discipline. Perhaps this will help keep me focused on one for each of next 3 months.

December = Swimming! This is my new focus for the month of December. Will still be running and will try to get a bike in but I decided yesterday that I need to put in lots of pool time over the next month. In addition to our Tri-Club competing Nationally through USAT we have also setup multiple 6 person teams within our club to add a little bit of internal competition to the formula. My commitment to myself and my team mates is 10K Meters per week.

So here we go, into the Off-Season but with a twist of Competition to keep it interesting.

No comments: